A few words about Ancient Corinth history
Ancient Corinth, according to the most authoritative excavations, it has been inhabited since 5000 BC. First name of the city was "Ephyra", from the name of the ocean, which was the first mythical Queen of Corinth. The name is indicative of the site where Ancient Corinth, from where everything "specific for" (=sees). Among the Kings of Corinth is the famous legendary hero Belerefontis, who with the help of the goddess Athena (Chalinitissas) curb the winged horse, the Pigaso the world a symbol of poetry. The sage Periander (629-585 BC), one of the seven sages of the ancient world was also King of Corinth where on days of Corinth notes the longest edge, which extended until the Persian wars. The letters and arts flourish, navigation and trade developed. Corinth become first power in the sea with two ports (Kegchraiwn and Lechaio) and establishing colonies in Italy, Illyria (Apollonia), in Sicily and in Corfu. Then spread the proverbial phrase:"all Th" Korinthon, plein s ( it is not easy to catch everyone in port of Corinth), which reveals the costly involvement in tryfili, luxurious and full of fun social life of the city. Apostle Paul came to Corinth first 52 a.d. and preached the new religion of Christ. Is the founder of the Church of Corinth, to which believers have written two letters. The cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope by m. Asia lived in Corinth, a storage jar as notorious, and here he died in 323 BC, the same day that he died, and Alexander the great. Here in Corinth also lived the famous hetaera Lais Corinthia.
Monuments and attractions in Ancient Corinth
Archaeological Museum quite rich in exhibits classical and Roman times was built in 1932 by c. offers Canadians and philhellene Americans. An ancient Temple of Apollo (6th century b.c.), Doric, with seven standing columns, monolithikoys, height of 4.00 m. It is the emblem of Ancient Corinth. The Fountain of Glaykis, where in the mythological tradition of the 288 Glauke, drowned when a magic wore dress full filter, which was supposedly wedding gift of Mideias. Ancient Fountain of Peirini, which still has water, Ruins of ancient theater and several good portion of the extant Roman Odeon. Ruins of the Asklipieioy, of the Corinthian hospital of antiquity. The step of Apostle Paul, which he tried and then taught the Apostle of Nations. Monument for Catholics & Orthodox. The Erastos Inscription, at the entrance of the ancient theater. Located on the floor. Is marble column with the name of Erastou, responsible for projects in the ancient theater of Corinth, one of the first students of the Apostle Paul. Particular point for Catholics. TheancientMarket Place in the Centre of the site and the paved with marble Route Lechaio. In the ancient Agora there are still various public buildings, arcades and Times Roman ruins of temples ( Athena, Ira etc.). The most important monuments is the Temple of Apollo which rises in the low hills to the North of the Market and is one of the greatest of the archaic temples in Greece. Builtbetween 550 and in 525 BC in the location of a shrine of 7th century, in the form of Dorian Temple. From the temple,the most prestigious monument of ancient Corinth, legally not monolithic columns standing seven of the 38 supporting the peristyle. The whole shape of the temple seems still thanks to slots in the rock to join the Foundation. Below are the ruins of the temple Theatre, built in the 4th century BC and again from the beginning of the 1st century BC. a.d.
The Akrokorinthos, the famous Castle of Corinth (height 575m). 'East Star'was called from the Turks. Behind the town is a very tall rock mountain which at the top is Akrokorinthos, which was always the fortified Citadel of Corinth. The entrance is to the West and here ends and the modern road. The Akrokorinthos is not only the largest, but also the oldest Castle of Peloponnese. The imposing walls are almost in their entirety in the Medieval Years, and there are occasional additions. The medieval fortification built on an ancient or a renovation. The castle became associated with the story of Leo Sgourou, who committed suicide, having prominent on horseback through the walls the 1210 not delivered Franks, who held the Fort until 1460, when it passed to the Turks, while small intermediate spaces that held the Venetians. The Akrokorinthos continued to settle until the last years of Ottoman domination. At the top of the Hill reaches anyone passing by three successive gates which are dominating elements of Frankish architecture. The great plateau of the Summit will see the ruins of the Temple of Venus and other pre-Christian buildings, relics of Christian temples and Turkic structures. Near the sanctuary of Aphrodite was the fountain Peirini, while Holy existed along the road leading to Akrokorintho. Now preserved at the beginning of the uphill road, immediately after the last houses of the old Corinth, a fountain built in 1515 a.d. According to the inscription.Inside the castle is the Fountain Over Peirini (or Dragonera),where Belerefontis curb the legendary horse Pigaso.